In the lawsuit the parents of a girl claim that the Diamond Ranch Academy was aware that a therapist at the Academy overstepped decent boundaries having warned him in the past before this girl suffered a terrible experience. A therapist named Troy Ammon Carter is also named in the lawsuit.
It is the 4th known incident at Diamond Ranch Academy which prompts concern.
- In 2009 a boy died at the Academy while they were located on their old campus west of Hurricane.
- In 2013 a boy committed suicide at the Academy
- In 2015 a teacher was arrested due to illegal contents on his harddrive. He was employed at Diamond Ranch Academy when he was arrested.
These are all cases of concern. They illustrate urgent need of supervision from the state on a totally other level compared with how the supervision operates today. We urge the politicians weighing the safety of the children at the academy higher than local jobs.
- Diamond Ranch Academy sexual assault case (Fighting Institutional Child Abuse Network)
- James Richard "Jim" Shirey (Memorial page)
- Sadly, yet another child death at Diamond Ranch Academy in Hurricane, Utah (Reddit)
- Local science teacher faces child sexual abuse/exploitation charges (The Spectrum)